We’re switching it up a bit this week and giving you some articles to read and videos to watch/listen to! Look at us, hitting on multiple intelligences!
Also, we’ve got lots of articles dealing with intersectionality: race and sexuality, gender and ethnicity, etc…
This week, we are bringing you articles that weigh in on the sometimes-subtle (and often not subtle) transphobia that surrounds the Mr. Cee case, a woman’s reaction to Hispanic Heritage Month, and thin privilege.
Is an article missing that you really enjoy? Do you have some burning thoughts, questions, or comments as you read these? KEEP THIS CONVERSATION GOING by posting these articles, ideas, and questions in the comments section!
Articles dealing with issues of race/racism
- Hear why this Latina has a problem with Hispanic Heritage Month: http://feministing.com/2013/09/24/as-a-latina-i-have-a-problem-with-hispanic-heritage-month/
- A follow-up piece on desegregation and Alabama sororities: http://www.onenewspage.us/n/US/74w12uqq9/African-American-students-join-white-University-of-Alabama.htm
- A piece about about a black boy from Brooklyn attending a prestigious private school; interesting look at how one child navigates the complexities of race, identity, and class: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/24/opinion/an-education-in-equality.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=2&
Articles dealing with issues of misogyny, sexuality, and non-normative sexual expression
- After a prominent NY DJ in the hip-hop scene was caught again with a transgendered sex worker, he openly addressed his sexuality for the first time and came out as gay. While some people are praising his bravery and claiming that this is a big moment for the hip-hop community, others are worried about what the implications are for trans women. Here are two pieces that deal with this thoughtful debate: http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/what-dj-mister-cees-scandal-means-for-hip-hop/5230e99778c90a121000039d; http://feministing.com/2013/09/23/more-thoughts-on-mister-cee-sexuality-and-hip-hop-culture/
- While native women are gaining better access to emergency contraceptives, it still isn’t enough: http://feministing.com/2013/09/23/native-women-gain-better-access-to-emergency-contraception-but-still-not-enough/
- <sarcasm>Want a great Halloween costume for your young daughter? Take a look at some of these “naughty” costumes for toddlers </sarcasm>: http://feministing.com/2013/09/23/halloween-is-around-the-corner-so-of-course-this-naughty-toddler-costume-is-being-sold-at-walmart/
Other interesting articles
- A fascinating manifesto on thin privilege: http://worldsickdotcom.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/the-invisible-knapsack-of-thin-privilege/