There are lots of fascinating conversations going on this week to get plugged into.
We have articles touching on topics like the new Miss America (an Indian-American woman from NY), the decades-old and still-present ban on gay male blood donors, a white woman who decided to join the Maasi tribe, and some articles about the recent sorority scandal at ‘Bama.
Is an article missing that you really enjoy? Do you have some burning thoughts, questions, or comments as you read these? KEEP THIS CONVERSATION GOING by posting these articles, ideas, and questions in the comments section!
Articles dealing with issues of race/racism
Last week we blogged an article about the 50th anniversary of the 16th street bombing and the statue to commemorate it. This article does a better job of explaining the gravity of the event. It also connects nicely to the current issues addressed in the previous three articles: http://thegrio.com/2013/09/15/4-little-girls-remembered-the-price-of-freedom-after-50-years/#s:4-little-girls-remembered
- The really heartwarming response to the suspension of a little girl for having dreadlocks. Her hair was considered “faddish” and she was sent home. This is hopeful response to this upsetting story: http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2013/09/tiana-care-package-full-locs-love/
- Race/Gender “What it is like to be a white woman of color”: title gives sufficient summary here: http://www.policymic.com/articles/62951/what-it-s-like-to-be-a-white-woman-of-color
About a white woman who decided the Maasi tribe needed to have its first female warrior… and spoiler alert: it’s her! This reeks of privilege. (Shout out to Ian for this one!): http://m.colorlines.com/archives/2013/09/white_woman_maasai_warrior.html
- From our friends in Alabama– Sorority Race Scandal:
Warning: TFM article is offensive on many levels, but does offer an interesting perspective by using sources experience this on the ground.
The student newspaper article that started it all.
The professional, objective, and well researched NY Times article on the issue. If you only read one of these, choose this one.
Issues around the race the new Miss America (Shout out to Courtney and Brynn for the tag team on this):
Articles dealing with issues of misogyny, sexuality, or non-normative gender expression
- While gay marriage continues to be the banner issue for the gay rights movement, it is far from the only battle we face:
Other interesting articles
- Dealing with religion/nationalism: A longer video that has a hidden camera on people as an actor makes some serious Anti-Muslim comments in a public place: http://www.upworthy.com/a-boy-makes-anti-muslim-comments-in-front-of-an-american-soldier-the-soldiers-reply-priceless