Here it is folks: your weekly dose of diversity.
We have everything from Gender at Harvard to white privilege, the March on Washington to Racial Empathy, Hispanic Heritage Month to Birmingham, and Zimmerman to pop culture.
Is an article missing that you really enjoy? Do you have some burning thoughts, questions, or comments as you read these? KEEP THIS CONVERSATION GOING by posting these articles, ideas, and questions in the comments section!
Articles dealing with issues of race/racism
- Love Letter to White People- Also very long. This deals with a lot of white privilege, encountering it for the first time, love versus fetish, and the role white activists can/should play. (note from Ian: as a white queer man whose past few relationships were with men of color, predominately black men, this REALLY spoke to me!): http://thefeministwire.com/2013/09/love-letter-to-white-people/
- TFA Audio Reflection on March on Washington—17 min long. (Shout out to Kyle for sending this one in!): https://tfainternal.app.box.com/s/vxnol10z5vjilftacqjj
- Racial Empathy Gap—Backed up by a fair amount of science and a quick read. Definitely worth the brief glance. Premise: All people are more likely to empathize/sympathize with people of lighter skin: http://www.racialicious.com/2013/09/03/the-racial-empathy-gap/
- If you love pop culture, but have recently been disappointed in what you have been witnessing, this article is for you! It gives the basics on the differences between cultural appreciation and appropriation—terms that we have all been seeing a lot of in conversations around twerking. (Shout out to Ian for this one!): ttp://unsettlingamerica.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/cultural-appreciation-or-cultural-appropriation/
Articles dealing with issues of misogyny, sexuality or non-normative gender expression
- NYT Harvard Business School Gender Equality—Warning: Super long, but totally worth it. I found this fascinating since HBS is one of the world’s premier institutions for producing leaders. It generated all kinds of thoughts about what it would take for our world to be the one we hope for: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/education/harvard-case-study-gender-equity.html?_r=2&
Other interesting articles
- Hispanic Heritage Month starts Sept. 15. I’m going to try to find a least one article a week for the entire month on Hispanic topics. Please help me out with this one!(Another shout out to Kyle for letting me know about this one!): http://www.hispanicheritagemonth.gov/
- A heartwarming story about the collective power of women responding to injustice: http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2013/09/tiana-care-package-full-locs-love/
- A little bit of Birmingham bias here, but worth it. Warning: Never read the comments on AL.com. It’s not worth it: http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/09/sculpture_honoring_4_victims_o.html
- Follow up on the George Zimmerman case. Most of you have probably already heard this, but I wanted to include it in case you hadn’t. It is worth noting that it was well documented that he had a history of domestic violence BEFORE the verdict: http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-custody-domestic-incident-involving-gun/story?id=20203329